Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Woolpower…

Visit Woolpower

Woolpower…

By Tim Ard

Forest Applications Training, Inc.

With the onset of cold weather this year and the need to stay warm while outside working and training across the country, I am pleased to announce our recent connection with Gransfors Bruks and Woolpower.

Over the years, people have shared with me the advantages of fiber pile types of material for layering. Soren Eriksson was ahead of innovation when he brought Swedish undergarment s and fiber pile fabrics to the USA. The material and thus the garments were expensive at the time but they worked. Scandinavians know how to dress warmly. I still have a pull-over that I have been wearing in the field for over 20 yrs. Now I have gone back in time to natural fiber. One does that when they get older I guess.

At a meeting several years ago Yvonne Caruso of Gransfors gave me a couple pair of Woolpower socks. I was amazed at their comfort and I was concerned that they would cause rashes or be too warm to wear. I found them quite the opposite and they were great. I couple months ago she sent me a set of Woolpower long johns (that is what we always called them). Woolpower calls them the under layer. I started reading the history and paperwork with the garments and found out a lot I didn’t know about wool, especially merino wool. There are differences in sheep and in the way Woolpower combines the wool fibers with synthetics to make Woolpower.

A few things I didn’t realize:

· Woolpower is soft as…. You finish the sentence after you wear it. I think you will be amazed in the comfort.

· Merino Wool is mostly air… That’s what you want to insulate from the cold and wick away the hot.

· Wool is naturally flame retardant… It is always a problem to be near a fire with synthetic clothing.

· Wool doesn’t hold odor… It is amazing how this works. You know how sheep smell, well some of them I guess, but you can wear Woolpower for a day working and smell less. I put it to the test; I wore the same undershirt for four days. More than one day is unheard of with my body chemistry and other fabrics. Not something to usually brag about but Woolpower is amazingly odor free.

· Woolpower is virtually seamless… they weave the sleeves and body of the garments like knitting a sock. Seams are almost non-existent. No seams – more comfort.

· Woolpower is machine washable and dryable… Easy to wash and wear for long time easy wear.

Contact me if you have any questions or give the fine folks at Gransfors Bruks a quick connect. Tell them I sent you! www.gransfors.us .

Good Sawing,

Tim Ard

www.forestapps.com

No comments: