Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Small Saw and Storm Work

I have come to a conclusion today that it is much harder to keep from getting stuck in logs and limbs under pressures and twist with a small narrow saw bar and chain.


Small saws, with narrow chain, really make it easier to get a saw stuck when cutting and limbing. The wider kerf cuts of .325" pitch and .375" (3/8") pitch saw chain seem to stay out of binds much better.


Is it the width of the kerf? Relationally the pressure that is applied when the kerf closes under force? Is the wider kerf affording more reaction time? Those shouldn't be the cause or relief of the situation.


I know something played a roll today. I am accustomed to a larger, more powerful saw and wider chain kerf. Using a small saw today I don't think I could make a cut without binding.


Maybe I have just gotten spoiled to power.... The weight of the saw is more and that has a negative effect on the operator and long term operation, but the power I think is what keeps the chain spinning and reduces the pinches.


What do you think?


It could be my planning process... I was off somewhere!


Good Sawing,


Tim Ard



No comments: